and any other documents referred to in it) sets out the basis on which any personal data we collect from you, or that you provide to us, will be processed by us. Please read the following carefully to understand our practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it.
For the purposes of this policy, “we” or “us” means BusinessEnglish.com Ltd of Hurst House, High Street, Ripley, Surrey GU23 6AY, UK and “you” means the user of the website. We are the data controller for the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998.
Information we may collect from you
We may collect and process the following data about you:
- If you complete a form or navigate on our website at www.businessenglish.com, we will collect and process the information you provide. This may include information you provide at the time of registering to use our site, subscribing to our service, posting material, requesting additional services, or in the event that you report a problem with our site;
- If you contact us at any time, we may keep a record of that correspondence;
- We will retain details of any transactions you carry out through our site, including records relating to the fulfillment of any orders you place with us;
- We will also record details of your visits to our site and the resources that you access during those visits. This may include, but is not limited to, traffic and location data, web logs and any other communication data, whether this data is required for our own billing purposes or otherwise;
- From time to time we may also ask you to complete surveys that we use for research purposes. (Please note that you do not have to respond to our surveys if you do not wish to do so ).
Updating your information
If the information you have provided us with changes, please let us know promptly, and we will correct, update or remove any information that we hold about you. We may however need to retain archive copies of that information for legal or audit purposes.
We may collect information about your computer, including where available your IP address, operating system and browser type, for system administration and to report aggregate or traffic information to our advertisers.
Storing your personal data
Please note that where you have a password which enables you to access certain parts of our site, you are solely responsible for keeping this password confidential and you must not disclose it to anyone.
We will do our best to protect your personal data, however the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure and therefore we cannot guarantee the security of any data you transmit to our site and any transmission is at your own risk. You supply your data to us at your own risk. Once we have received it, we will use appropriate procedures and security controls to try to prevent unauthorised access.
How we will use your information
The information we hold about you will be used to:
- provide you with the information, products or services that you require from us;
- carry out our obligations arising from any contracts we have entered into with you or under which you are receiving services from us;
- notify you about changes to our service;
- provide you with information, products or services that we feel may interest you, where you have consented to be contacted for such purposes;
- ensure that content from our site is presented in the most effective manner for you and your computer;
- allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so.
We may also use your information, or allow carefully selected third parties to use your information, to provide you with details of goods and services which may be of interest to you. We or they may contact you about these by post or telephone .
We will only contact existing customers by e-mail or SMS with information about goods and services similar to those previously sold to you.
If you are a new customer, and we have allowed selected third parties to use your information, we (or they) will contact you by e-mail or SMS only if you have consented to this.
If you do not want us to use your information in this way, or you do not want us to pass your data on to third parties for marketing purposes, please contact us at the email address at www.businessenglish.com/about.html
Disclosing your information
We may disclose your personal information to any member of our group (which means our subsidiaries, our ultimate holding company and its subsidiaries, as defined in section 1159 of the Companies Act 2006).
In certain circumstances we may disclose your personal information to third parties:
- If we are required to do so by the courts or to comply with other legal, statutory and/or regulatory obligations, including accounting and taxation requirements;
- Where it is necessary for the provision of information or services to you (for example to disclose information to an associated Customer or Student for the purposes of providing services to you);
- In order to protect the rights, property, or safety of BusinessEnglish.com Ltd, our customers, or others. This may include sharing information with other organisations for the purposes of fraud protection or prevention and credit risk management;
- In the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your information to the prospective seller or buyer;
- If BusinessEnglish.com Ltd or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data about customers will be one of the assets transferred.
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. Before collecting your data, we will usually let you know if we intend to use it for marketing purposes, or if we intend to disclose it to any third party for such purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent this happening by ticking the appropriate boxes on the forms we use to collect your data. You can also exercise your right at any time by contacting us at the email address at www.businessenglish.com/about.html
Accessing your information
The Data Protection Act 1998 gives you the right to access the information we hold about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Act. We may charge you a fee of £10 to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you.
Issue ref: dJu2mWI38iw5